Thursday, November 12, 2009

Droid: Crazy Awesome Phone or Mechanical Menace?

While getting my daily dose of CNN, I was interrupted by one of those nasty little intruding advertisements that websites like to use to infuriate their fan base. However, this one caught my eye with the catchline "Droid has arrived", and meteor like cellphones plummeted through the atmosphere with catastrophic results on impact. Then, a red eye, similar to Hal from 2001: A Space Odyssey, appeared and further enticed a robot nerd like myself to actually click on the advertisement.

That in itself warrants respect.

What kind of angle were the Google, Verizon Wireless, and Motorola companies trying to exploit though? Robots can be really scary, buy it or else? While I think the marketing is clever and a great homage to the spooky robot genre, I can see the regular consumer being intimidated by this commercial campaign.

Look at this advertisement for instance



Seriously, who's the target demographic for this? Cylons?

It's basically a big "fuck you" to Iphone users. I guess the pitch is that the Droid is the bully of the phone market, that they want to be abrasive just for the sake of it.

In short, the Droid wasn't hugged enough when it was a child and now it's taking it's aggression out constructively, but menacingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment